Friday, April 10, 2009

Masters memories I'll never forget!

This week has been quite a week and I'm trying to make the best of everything and take everything in. I never expected to get some of the experiences I'm getting. Here are a few of those stories.

When golf fans think of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters there are certain things that come to mind, one of which is Magnolia Lane. For those that don't know this is the road that leads from Washington Road to the clubhouse. The drive is lined with large trees that are over 100 years old. It is a drive that players always talk about. Unfortunately for the fans you aren't able to drive down it or even walk down it during the tournament. During the practice rounds people are able to take pictures of it from the one end but that's about it. Well during the week Mandy and I have befriended the sheriff that guards the front of the clubhouse and the end of the Magnolia Lane. Each day I've stopped by and said hello and he's shared some really neat stories of his time working. We waited with him Tuesday night til about 7pm and watched about a dozen of the champions come for the champion's dinner. Well today I stayed til the very end of the day and after all of the players were done I was at the front trying to get Mickelson's autograph and I joked to the sheriff that maybe he could drive me to the local IHOP where Mandy was supposed to pick me up and drive down Magnolia Lane. He said sure. So unlike every other one of the 30,000+ fans, I was able to drive down Magnolia Lane.....yes it was in the back of a cop car but at least I got to experience it.



As many of you know, I have a Masters flag that I try to get as many of the champions to sign. Today was a great day for getting some of the autographs. I was able to get 4 more today from Jackie Burke, Billy Casper, Nick Faldo and Larry Mize. The best story comes with getting Larry Mize's. I had been trying to get his autograph every day and was unsuccessful. I had a chance to talk with his caddie for about 10 minutes on Tuesday he took my business card and he said that if I didn't get his autograph this week he'd email me and we'd figure out a time at the senior tour event in Seattle. I had talked with his caddie a few more times today and also on Wednesday. Well today after Larry Mize finished his round he was hitting balls on the range and his caddie saw me and said "hey Mike"....at this point we are on a first name basis. He came over and grabbed my flag and said that he'd get his autograph for me and bring the flag back out to me. There were probably a half dozen people trying to get his autograph and so I felt pretty special. He personalizes the flags and so I had him make it out to Mandy and he's also a christian so I asked his caddie to have him write Mandy's favorite bible verse: Matthew 6:34. It was nice to meet his caddie and have him do this for me.



Everyone at the tournament has been so nice and I'm having the time of my life. How many people can say they have driven down Magnolia Lane, chatted with Masters champions who won in 1956 and 1970 or befriended the caddie for the 1987 Masters champ? I'm sure there are several but now I'm one of them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are some cool stories! I like the photo of Jack on the Masters website.

pfeek said...

Mike,
You are a fag about Masters golf, but I'm jealous right now. Those are some pretty awesome stories and some good photos. I can't wait to talk to you and get everything from you. Have a good final 2 days. Can you get me a shot glass?

Bro