Monday, April 6, 2009

Masters Day 1 - Mike's perspective

Coming into Augusta was like a dream. Part of me felt like I had been here before based on all of the books I've read and pictures I've seen. As we started to drive down Washington Road at 1am in the morning last night I was so excited to see the front gate knowing that we'd probably only see the Augusta National Golf Club Members Only sign. As we slowly drove by I couldn't help but smile. I couldn't wait for Monday. We arrived at our apartment that we were staying at for the week and was very surprised at how nice it is. We finally lay down to sleep around 2:30am and I don't think I fell asleep until 3 or 3:30am. I couldn't stop thinking about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do.
We got up at 5:50 this morning and I gave Mandy 40 minutes....no girl time getting ready! She was great and we actually left before. Arriving at the parking area I felt like we were parking for Golfer's Disneyland. Everything was all set up and there was a line forming outside the front gates. We waited patiently outside and had a few conversations with some other random golf addicts. About the time we were let in the clouds opened up and let out a quick 20 minute shower. Luckily during this time we were going through the merchandise tent. This merchandise tent was awesome!!!! So many cool things! If I was independently wealthy I probably would have bought one of everything. All of these things I had only seen on ebay were right there at my fingertips. We walked out with a small dent in our wallets...although that was expected.
The food was soo cheap! And actually pretty good....when I asked them what kind of beer they had they said....Masters special brew....which means....Augusta National doesn't want to commercialize the Masters tournament.
Ok so onto the course.....oh my gosh! Mandy and I walked onto the course which brings you out in the middle of the first hole and the first thing I noticed was how perfect the grass was....I have no idea how they do it but it was like carpet. We walked up towards the clubhouse and I was in shock....it is so surreal. I told Mandy it was like being at Disneyland times a thousand. We stood there and took it in.....oh and by this point the weather had gotten a lot better and there was no more rain the rest of the day.
We started walking the course and the first thing I notice is that TV doesn't do the hills justice. Hole number 10 is straight downhill....it's amazing. We walked over to Amen Corner (11, 12 and 13) and I just can't believe my eyes....it's amazing!! Absolutely beautiful!
I'm not sure what else to write....I'll probably right more throughout the week but for now I am just trying to soak in everything. I was in awe and can't wait til tomorrow....set the alarm for 5:50am.










1 comment:

Craig said...

I have to give today's blog point to Mandy. I have no question that you were a giddy little school girl. You blog post sounds like you were reserved and clam, with moments of excitement. FALSE! You were jumping up and down all day unable to contain your excitment!

Score: Mandy 1, Mike 0

Can't wait to see the pictures guys! Have a blast for the rest of your trip.